Sector: Housing Association
The Role: Sample Stock Condition Survey
Client: Safe Haven London
The Project: Sillence Hurn was commissioned by Safe Haven London to undertake a sample stock condition survey of a residential portfolio and prepare a report with extrapolated expenditure estimates.
The scope of services was agreed as:
- Impressionistic survey - desktop review to group and archetype properties;
- Sample selection - selection of a representative sample of blocks to be surveyed using the "beacon" principle;
- Survey form - preparation of a pro-forma survey questionnaire to collect appropriate data
- Desktop review - request information regarding the past 2 years' service charge from the vendor, review and predict;
- Preparation of expenditure profile - showing predicted expenditure to a 30 or 50-year horizon for each property and summarised for the portfolio as a whole, including major repairs, cyclical works, and servicing costs along with any unusual or exceptional costs identified;
- Report - setting out the methodology and key findings.
The Objective: The survey and report provided an independent opinion of a 30-year profile of likely costs that would fall to the owner of the portfolio to assist with financial planning and cash flow.